International PhD students
A Master’s qualification is required for entry to doctoral studies. The nominal length of doctoral studies in Estonia is 3-4 years, after which a postgraduate research degree may be conferred.
The following documents are usually required for an application:
- a completed application form
- certified copies of certificates/degrees qualifications showing eligibility for doctoral studies (applying for PhD scholarship)
- an academic transcript or confirmation letter from the home institution (for visiting PhD students)
- an academic transcript(s)
- an academic CV
- a statement of purpose
- two or three photos
- a copy of an identification document
Specific requirements depend on the requirements of the institution of higher education and the particular course. DoRa scholarships for international PhD students are not avaialble any more - but there is still and option for a scholarship for international visiting PhD students. If you want to apply for the institutional scholarship, then specific requirements may include an entrance examination or an interview.
All prospective international PhD students and visiting PhD students should contact the university they wish to attend for additional information.
Doctoral Studies and Internationalisation Programme “DoRa” activities are currently intended for Master’s students, visiting doctoral students and members of teaching staff who are already working or studying at Estonian higher education institutions, or are planning to do so. The eligibility period for the grants of the programme extends from 1 January 2008 to 31 May 2015.